Colorado Springs, Colo. (Feb. 19, 2020) – USA Ultimate, the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the United States, announced today that the coach applications for the 2021 U.S. National Teams at the 2021 WFDF World Championships of Beach Ultimate (WCBU) are now open. Coaches will be selected to lead the U.S. Men’s, Mixed and Women’s National Teams.
Held every four years, WCBU showcases the highest level of beach ultimate in the world. The last iteration of the event was held in 2017 in Royan, France, and included 119 teams from 39 countries and five continents. The World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) expects even greater participation numbers for the 2021 event.
In 2017, the United States took home gold medals in the men’s, mixed, men’s masters, mixed masters, women’s masters and men’s grand masters divisions. The Women’s National Team fought valiantly against Russia, whom they defeated in the 2015 WCBU championship match, but fell one point short, losing 11-10 and taking home silver.
Qualifications to be the coach of a WCBU National Team include the following:
- Must have an active coach level membership with USA Ultimate. As this requirement covers both SafeSport training and background checks, applications submitted without this requirement fulfilled will be rejected.
- Must have a USA Ultimate Level-I or College/Club certified coach, or be willing to obtain one of these certifications prior to the event.
- Must be available to attend two tryouts camps held in February-April 2021 (dates and location TBD).
- Must be available to attend the WFDF 2021 World Championships of Beach Ultimate (dates and location TBD).
Coaches will be selected by the USA Ultimate Coaching Committee and USA Ultimate staff. These are not player/coach positions – you will not be allowed to both coach and play for any USA Ultimate WCBU National Team (including any age-specific divisions).
Those selected will have a demonstrated commitment to strong character and sportsmanship and will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Ultimate coaching experience; showing competitive success, exemplifying Spirit of the Game and building a positive team culture.
- Ability and willingness to work with USA Ultimate administration and support USA Ultimate’s mission and goals.
- Ability to work with elite players.
- Experience with international competition, including WFDF Beach rules and regulations. A strong preference will be given to applicants who have experience with the USA Ultimate National Team program.
- Preference will be given to coaches who have experience with beach competition.
Additional information and qualifications are included in the application. Applications close Wednesday, March 4.