Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sept. 14, 2020)—USA Ultimate is currently seeking potential candidates to run for its board of directors, the national governing body for the sport of ultimate in the United States announced today.
Individuals interested in helping to provide long-term strategic direction, set policy or oversee effective corporate governance for a Colorado-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit amateur sports organization are encouraged to formally express their interest by Monday, October 5.
Potential candidates may express interest in one of three types of board seats for the 2020 election – At Large, Elite Athlete or Independent. At Large and Elite Athlete seats are elected by USA Ultimate members. Independent directors are primarily identified and recruited by the nominating committee and appointed directly by the board.
Terms will commence on January 1, 2021 and expire on Dec. 31, 2023.
At Large representatives are elected by the general membership of USA Ultimate. Any current member in good standing that fulfills the basic requirements outlined in Sections 5.5 and 5.6 of USA Ultimate’s bylaws is eligible to run for election in the At Large category.
Elite Athlete representatives are elected by their peers. To run for the board as an Elite Athlete, candidates must meet the eligibility requirements and definition of an Elite Athlete as described in Sections 5.5 and 5.6 of USA Ultimate’s bylaws.
Independent board members are appointed directly by the USA Ultimate board and may not have any material relationship with USA Ultimate, either directly or indirectly through an organization that has a material relationship with USA Ultimate. The nominating committee will review and determine the independence of an individual.
More information regarding the Independent position is found in Section 5.6 (d) of USA Ultimate’s bylaws.
For a detailed description of the board’s scope of responsibilities and full eligibility requirements, please read Article V of the USA Ultimate Bylaws.
To be considered, eligible candidates should express their interest by filling out the USA Ultimate Board of Directors Expression of Interest Application. Applications are due by Monday, October 5.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, the nominating committee will consider the following, which aligns with the process the board uses in considering potential board candidates:
1. The candidate’s potential contribution to the effective functioning of USAU and their ability to work cooperatively with and in support of the CEO and professional staff;
2. Any potential or impending change in the candidate’s principle area of responsibility with their company or in their employment;
3. Whether the candidate brings relevant expertise and experience to the board;
4. Whether the candidate has the ability to attend meetings and fully participate in the activities of the board;
5. The candidate’s reputation for personal integrity and commitment to ethical conduct;
6. The candidate passes a mandatory background check and complete SafeSport training; and
7. Whether the candidate has or may develop any relationships with other organizations, or if circumstances may arise that make it inappropriate for the candidate to continue serving on the board.
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements, qualified candidates shall possess the highest personal values, judgment and integrity consistent with the organization’s mission and vision while exhibiting an understanding of athletic competition, Olympic ideals and familiarity with the business, financial and other challenges and issues inherent to national governing bodies of amateur sport. Often, they have strong professional backgrounds in fields such as finance, fundraising, governance, strategic planning, marketing, audit, management, communications, law, equity, diversity and inclusion, or other sport-related issues.
Following the application period, the nominating committee will conduct a formal review of eligible applicants and determine a final slate of approved candidates. Approved At Large and Elite Athlete candidates to be included on the official ballot will then be required to draft and submit a formal campaign statement for publication by November 3.